Tuesday 17 December 2019

More amazing WSPRs

I had another session at the beach this morning, sending 1W WSPR to the world from the usual Ampro 14MHz vertical stick antenna.

This time, my signal from the beach was heard by three fairly closely-spaced stations in China, with a best report of -20dB.  I have rarely seen China on my WSPR hit list before.

Only the typically-excellent monopole of G0CCL with a factory as a ground plane was the other European station to be heard there, although I was 10dB stronger, and being heard earlier (normally, G0CCL should be heard earlier due to being further east):


Once again, the signal from my vertical delta was completely unheard by any of the three Chinese stations.  That was also the case for LU1ESY1, who only heard my mobile stick.  Both antennas reached PY2GN, but the stick was 7dB stronger than the delta (-17dB vs. -24dB means):
MW1CFN/M being received (1W)
However, the delta did get a signal to a couple of ZL stations, but so did my stick antenna, albeit a different, SWL receiver.

The following morning, the robustness of the path from the coast, and how few other European stations were crossing it, proved itself again (the delta never got there):

And the following morning to BA7KW and BG8IBS:




1 comment:

PE4BAS, Bas said...

Interesting John, I see you are active approx from 8-9 UTC. 1 hour of WSPR. Only transmitting I guess? I should try this as well.....really interesting. 73, Bas