Wednesday 25 December 2019

Colwyn Bay Seaside /M

More seaside activity, this time from Colwyn Bay sea front, north Wales.

This turned out to be a great place to work short path to the east.  In the case of VK3GMZ, I was the only one outside of Australia to be heard by him on 14MHz WSPR (1W out of my mobile stick):


In the case of VK3KHZ as receiver, I had a median signal to him of -24dB, a full 10dB stronger than the only other UK station being heard (G0CCL, 5W), with few other stations from Europe making it at all:


And finally, in the case of HS0ZKM, I was 4dB stronger than the only other UK station being heard by him:
On my receive, I was blown away by the sheer strength of RX3AFE, whose signal I first thought was a very local one, within a few km of me.  At a peak of +18dB, with multiple spots as a result, this was amongst the strongest WSPR signals I've ever decoded, and up there with the few other similarly strong reports from Europe.  The 14MHz delta loop back home was receiving RX8AFE 6dB weaker than my simple mobile stick!



No matter how many times I operate with this simple equipment, I am always amazed by the outcome.  Remember, this was achieved not out on the sand with a golfing cart, coat and woolly hat, but simply by parking up, sitting comfortably in the warm car on the sea front, about 8 metres from the water.  Station is set up and down in 2 minutes.  Nothing quite brings a smile to my face as coastal /M operating!

No comments: