Monday 30 December 2019

A cure for fake news

With yesterday's achievement of getting a signal - but no two-way QSO - into EA8, I was hopeful for something better this morning, as a vast plume of warm air from the tropics continues to sweep in over Europe, bringing record-breaking winter temperatures to the UK.

Peering over the flat roof, just 4m up, aimed at EA8 and D41

Whilst I was grabbing a coffee, I saw EA8CXN responding to my FT8 call at 30W to my tiny 3-ele Yagi.  I was so amazed that I seem to have switched the software to stop sending 'RR73', such that EA8CXN then resorted to sending a cryptic 'CFN EA8 CM'.  It took me too long in my early morning stupor to realise he wanted me to confirm!


Well, I sent the screenshots to a 2m SSB Facebook page to encourage others into activity.  A lot of people receiving my FT8 calls yesterday in mainland Spain were doing so with simple verticals and dipoles.

I haven't checked yet, but I suspect that there will be some negative people who will say that, because I didn't receive a RR73 from EA8CXN, it's not a valid QSO.

So, just to prove the point and blow the naysayers away completely, EA8CXN and I did it all over again from the start a few minutes later!

Now I'm wondering why I would want to spend £200 for a larger Yagi - at least until the summer Es season arrives!

1 comment:

PE4BAS, Bas said...

Interesting point John, congrats with the EA8 on 2m. I remember I had a QSO on SSB with a EA8 on 2m long time ago....
It was via sat ;-)

Anyway, I don;t have 2m equipment capable of doing FT8 other then my FT-817. Don't think I will manage to EA8 with 5W. However, I remember a contact with 5W FT8 into my W2000 vertical on 6m with Puerto Rico a few years ago. That's the magic....

73, Bas