Tuesday 10 August 2021

Radio Remains, then and now.

Back in 2017, my family and I had a lovely outing during unseasonbaly warm weather, up on the hillside of the old Marconi transmitting station at Cefn Du, near Caernarfon.

It's lovely to see the old concrete bases for the tubular steel masts that held what was essentially a pair of inverted-L wires in the air.

One of the 400ft-tall antenna suppor towers, around the immediate post-WW1 period.
 

All that remained in 2017, just under 100 years later.

And so, in 2021, it became the moment for me to leave my own radio remains, also in the form of a concrete base and threaded rod.  At least I can now see where the water was coming from - an air void that didn't quite fill-in during concrete pouring, not that it made any difference to anything.

A couple of years ago.

My radio remains, 2021.
 

You can read an earlier post about the Cefn Du site here.  It includes a side 'A' and side 'B' recording of Marconi himself, talking about the first ever direct, non-relay Wales-Australia contact.


No comments: