Monday 9 August 2021

Moving on.

Well, every change is an opportunity!  With the old station now completely dismantled, I'm already thinking of how to not only keep things going, but to improve on at least a few aspects of what I had in the past.

In practice, I'm going to be a predominantly /P or, if you like, a /M operator from now on.  I'm planning on a van of some sort that will allow a permanent installation of a radio in the back, and a small generator for deployment when I get on site. 

I'm quite keen on expanding my 6m operation, in particular.  For this, I've already selected a 5-ele OP-DES Yagi from Innovantennas.  Good value at £199, and the perfect balance of size, gain and breadth of pattern; taking advantage of auroral reflections, rare though they are, is one of my most rewarding activities.


 

Over on 2m, I'm simply keeping my 8-ele, which will fit in, or on top of a van quite easily.

As for HF, well, the efficiency is such that I'll keep going with my 1/4 wave elevated verticals; they've never left me lacking in performance, especially from coastal locations, where I can easily outperform most inland antennas.

Now all I need do is find a good van.  Being half-Polish, buying a German VW camper is fundamentally out of the question, both out of respect for my predecessors and, frankly, price!

No comments: