Thursday 2 September 2021

Evaluating a low sloping loop (updated)

Earlier this week, I put up a random-length, shallow-sloping delta loop at the new QTH.  Although noise levels are surprisingly low, I still plan to do almost all of my working from the car on the coast now; the coast is simply infinitely more effective than home operations.

Being quite low, the loop was never going to be 'world-beating' like my previous location allowed antennas to be.  Then again, it's nowhere near as windy at the new QTH, and the loop will survive with ease, with no need for retraction.  Life is a compromise, with antennas.

Even so, the loop gets out surprisingly well at 30m, as this comparison against a doublet (10m legs) in inverted-V configuration, apex at 8m, shows:


Receptions of my loop's output (green) and my own receptions of others (red).  Sorry if you are colour vision deficient; it's not my choice of colours!

UPDATE:  Although better propagation is certainly helping matters, I'm rather pleased with how this antenna is doing.  The QTH has a reasonably good, low takeoff to the NE-SW half of the sky, not so good to the West.  Plot is of 10, 12, 15, and 20m activity for a couple of hours this afternoon at ~15W FT8:




No comments: