Sunday 26 September 2021

Sea King HF Antenna

I came across some photos from, it seems remarkable to me now, 11 years ago, when a Sea King rescue helicopter came in for a few tonnes of Jet A1 fuel at a nearby private airfield.

 

I'm quite curious about the HF antenna that is located on the port side of the aircraft.  Superficially, it seems a simple dipole.  But a closer examination reveals several wires or ropes attached to the main radiating elements.  I'm not sure if some of these are to stabilise the wire in the downdraught from the rotors.  Or maybe they are some complex feed mechanism?


Similar, probably earlier Sea King antenna plan.

Since 2010, the RAF-operated Sea Kings have been replaced by a private search and rescue service.

My son in front of one of the local privately-operated search and rescue Sikorsky S-92 choppers.  The main rotor assembly feels like alien technology, so complex is it.



No comments: