Saturday 13 February 2021

ZLP Interfaces.

Over the years, I've never used anything other than ZLP Electronics interfaces.  I knew nothing about how good they were, right back at the beginning.  I only bought my first because it was 'advertised' within DigiMaster software.

But I was lucky.  Their long-running DigiMaster Pro is a very low noise unit, and is very easy to set up, with just two cables, thanks to its onboard soundcard.  The ability to change input and, especially, output levels on the interface made this a very practical, zero-fuss-to-use unit.  It also had two outputs, so two rigs could be connected.

The (now discontinued) DigiMaster Pro interface.
 

In the market again for another interface to couple to my FT-818, I found out yesterday that, for some unfathomable reason, ZLP is no longer making the DigiMaster Pro.  Instead, it is producing just one interface, which is again low noise, but has no on-board input/ouput level adjustments.  

Whilst adjusting levels is reasonably easy at the computer, it's a lot less convenient than having controls you can quickly twiddle on the front of the interface.  This aspect is especially useful when two rigs are connected, as one will invariably need a different level to the other.

Volume controls gone!  Now it has to be done by software.  Very annoying!

I did send my view to G4ZLP that abandoning on-board volume controls was a retrograde step.  Neil has never been an especially communicative type, even when you wanted to buy something from him.  But he hasn't responded to this criticism.

A Tigertronics USB is the only real soundcard-inclusive alternative for me at this price and size range.  Those are alleged to have substantially higher noise figures than the ZLP units.  Units made by G4LIV are very good, but without an onboard soundcard, increase the wire spaghetti load without need and, thus, make them entirely unsuitable, especially for portable use.

Oddly, in this era of digimode dominance, we seem as a community to have no real choice of USB interfaces.  One, actually fairly major problem we have, is that so many products are made by one-man, sole-trader type businesses.  They make good stuff quite often, but equally often fail to make any preparation for the continuation of that business.  So the old guy becomes tired, frail, and ultimately stops making his stuff, leaving us in a bit of a pickle!

1 comment:

PE4BAS, Bas said...

I used both ZLP CAT interfaces for the Yaesu/Icom for years. Had some problems with the Yaesu CAT interface when I bought it. I thought it was a faulty USB cable, I returned the cable but Neil couldn't find a fault. In the end it occured to my that the hole for the USB connector was not cut right and blocked the cable input. Neil was not really amused about my crtisism which of course was published on my blog. Anyway, I was searching for digimaster pro old version as well a while ago and discovered the same thing. It's the same problem as when JTDX/WSJT software stopped with the RX input slider in the software. Now, with the IC-7300 I don't need any separate modem anymore and I made my own thing for the Yaesu for audio in/out. 73, Bas