Tuesday 23 February 2021

FT818 - dead!

Well, after just one outing, I've managed to kill my FT-818!

Sadly, after refusing to use them for years, I succumbed recently to using the dreaded Anderson Power Poles.  This was motivated by the need to relieve stress on the DC input jack of the 818, which is a fairly weak, 3.5mm phono type.  To do so, I used a typical 3D-printed adapter that screws semi-permanently onto the ground post.

Using one of these required the use of Power Poles.

After checking my connections three times over, when I came to install DC in the field, one of the positive poles came out of the plastic shroud and made contact with the chassis.  Uh, oh!

Sadly, the FT818 smelled a bit phenolic around the power input.  

The rig is already with Yaesu, who I have to say some good words about, even before I know the outcome of their assessment (others tell me this is likely a very easy repair).  

Yaesu's UK service centre responded within a few hours to my call for help, and were evidently delighted that I had not, as so many are inclined, tried to blame the damage on the product or some 'mystery event' for which the user was not responsible. 

As in the case of ICOM, who were equally efficient and helpful, this kind of service level does make a difference when we come to consider big-ticket equipment purchases.  For example, despite a bit of derision about the '1980s' 3D spectrum display on the FT-DX10, I may well buy one of those soon.  After all, my long-serving, hard-working FT450 is a Yaesu.

My modified adapter for the 818.  No more Power Pole connectors, and no removable connectors at all running right next to the chassis!

And those Power Poles?  Well, a good proportion of the ones I tugged at after the accident could be pulled out with a bit of flexing and pulling - precisely the kind of stress that is common during fieldwork.  All the ones I used have been cut off and put into recycling.  My old system of polarity-specific spade connectors is both cheaper, easier and far less prone to physical stress failure!




2 comments:

PE4BAS, Bas said...

Oh my, and I guess the FT-818 still hasn't a reverse polarity diode inside jsut like the FT-817. See: https://pe4bas.blogspot.com/2015/09/some-yaesu-ft-817-bugs-previously.html
Most likely some elektrolytics blew causing the smell. A few voltage regulators probabely gone as well. I hope this is not going to cost you a lot. Good luck. 73, Bas

Photon said...

Not sure about the RP diode, but the damage does appear limited to the input part of the board. The only accident I've ever had with main equipment in all the time I've operated. So not too upset! To be honest, I like the 818 very much, and would gladly buy another, if needed.