Thursday 2 July 2020

Reflections on Reflections.

A few days ago, I wrote about the very strange-sounding signals heard at 50MHz, which I've never heard before, and only in the direction of the USA.

Superficially, some of the signals seem to be meteor scatter, and one or two people have argued very emphatically  - usually based on a peceived 'long career' on 6m, that this is all the signals are.

But the question is: why is this supposed meteor scatter not present at other times?   And for that, there is no answer.

I can imagine someone saying that it's meteor scatter plus Es, so that meteor scatter happening very far away is then bouncing off Es clouds.  I think that would ridiculous, all things considered.

I heard this strange effect again yesterday (01/07/20).  I could again confirm that all the signals affected by the peculiar propagation were from the US.  It really does sound a little like meteor scatter, but again, why only when there is Es propagation to the US?  30-37s and 56s onwards are where you can hear the strongest effect:


I'm open to other explanations, but for the moment, I think it has to be very shallow, transient reflections from locally electron-dense regions of the E layer.  Moderated 'Comments' is now open again for any ideas you may have...