Thursday 10 October 2019

Hearing the ISS below the horizon?

I think I heard something odd yesterday, and would like others' input, if you listen to the ISS approach on 145.800MHz, FM.

Whilst I might expect to hear the ISS as soon as it clears the horizon - or even very slightly earlier on occasion, due to refraction and orbital effects, I wouldn't expect to hear it several minutes beforehand.


I observed this on two passes yesterday, each time a very weak signal being heard as the ISS crossed around 30 degrees north - when it was still well below the local horizon. The signal flickered weakly for a while, and then disappeared until the station became visible.

I don't know if it goes some way to explain it, but that is the tropical area where tropospheric propagation remains strong at this time of year. 

Has anybody noticed this before? 


No comments: