Friday 29 May 2020

RFI-free keyboard

Whenever I find RFI-free products, I like to tell others about them here.  Remarkably, despite the ubiquity of computing devices and RFI in amateur radio, I've never found an online resource that keeps a list of things that are 'good', and things that are 'bad'.

Good 'SR-mini' keyboard for the past few years, no RFI.

I've used a very cheap compact keyboard called 'SR-mini' with my Raspberry Pi, which has no RFI at all, unlike a previous (metal-backed) keyboard I had, a 'HiPoint', sold specifically for the Raspberry Pi, which was absolutely terrible in RF hash generation.  All Microsoft full-sized keyboards I've bought are RFI-free.

Incidentally, an 'Artek' backlit keyboard I once bought, whilst RFI-free, was good quality, but simply couldn't maintain a good Bluetooth connection.  Useless!

No RFI!

Anyway, the 'SR' keyboard is sometimes not available, so I had to try and pick a similar alternative field-use keyboard, hoping it would also be RFI-free.

Well, I'm happy to report the Compoint CP-K7070 keyboard is, indeed, both a good quality and RFI-free keyboard, currently about £11 in the UK. 


No comments: