Friday 29 May 2020

QRSS, 28MHz

Following on from John, EI7GL's interesting recent post, partly about following propagation changes at 28MHz with QRSS, I had a go at the same myself this afternoon.

I found a small number of stations happily coming and going over a single transmission period.  Quite difficult to follow the code at times, due to the QSB. 


Anyhow, the whole thing actually managed to grab the attention of my kids, now near-adult teenagers, which is quite an achievement.  It's a little like reading  a book when you read QRSS - you just have to settle down and slow down; it can't be hurried!

Certainly, the strong and brief spikes in signal strength at centre image from G6NHU are fascinating, probably being specular reflections off a Es wavefront.  It could have been aircraft scatter, but it did repeat from time to time.

Most signals were old-timer G callsigns, but I did also get a strong and very stable signal from TF3HZ earlier in the afternoon.

Thanks for pointing me in the direction of something new, John.  I guess I will have to buy a TX kit for the mode now!

No comments: