Wednesday 8 April 2020

That WSPR decoding issue...

As recently reported, I've been having difficulties with a Windows laptop starting to miss out decode cycles.  In fact, this problem may have been existent for some time, as I haven't been paying a lot of attention to each cycle like I have these past weeks with the VK3MO/QN work.


In any event, what seems to have resolved this issue is the changing of D4 time software from updates every 2 minutes to every 30 minutes.  Using every 2 minutes, with a WSPR cycle time of much the same, was probably never a very good idea on my part.  Time accuracy with 30 minute D4 updates remains excellent.

Happily, even when using quite a lot of computing resources running SDRUno software with the RSP1a, JTDX is now missing no decode cycles.


1 comment:

PE4BAS, Bas said...

Tnx for the investigation John. I've used D4 in the past but had a lot of issues, most related to security. Use nettime and bkttimesync on all my systems. With bkttimesync you have the possebility to instantly change the timeslot when the opposite station is having trouble with the right time and it supports GPS. I also use a 30 minute time update. 73, Bas