Monday 13 April 2020

After the Screen

Last week, I installed a modest ground screen of 16 radials (not connected to the antenna) around my vertical delta loop.

I don't expect this to make very much difference, and it's almost impossible to compare on a simple before/after basis, given there are so many variations in propagation.

Nevertheless, it is possible to compare against others running at the same time, without the tedium, thanks to DXPlorer.

I won't bore you with many graphs today, but, allowing for differences in output between stations, and choosing only receivers beyond 3600km (what we can call 'DX'), my delta came in at between 3.37dB and 11.79dB stronger than the other leading 14MHz WSPR stations based in the UK.
My 1W against 5W elsewhere from the UK.

I also managed to get to number 10 in the global listening challenge, even though I spent most of the daytime on FT8, and when I did go to WSPR, was transmitting at 18%.  Not bad!

Altogether, I can safely say the ground screen is not making things worse, and it may possibly be making the expected improvement of around 1-2dB.


No comments: