Tuesday 22 December 2020

N2WJ Anomaly in G3 (updated)

A fairly sustained (and entirely unpredicted) period of G3 storm conditions occurred overnight, bringing a single, anomalous mid-winter nighttime 14MHz spot from N2WJ at 01:44UT (0.2W, -28dB).  

Explaining quite why only one station, running 0.2W, was heard on the dark side of the planet, when there were plenty of other US WSPR transmitters operational, is tough.  But we have seen it many times before.

I reproduce, with permission, an e-mail kindly received from N2WJ today:

"Thank you so much for letting me know about the blog post.  It’s amazing to me that .2W can propagate so well even during good conditions…. The WSPRD screen indicates what my usual .2W pattern is from my QTH in west central Florida.  I’m using a fan dipole at about 10 meters elevation.  One leg of the dipole runs east to west and the other leg is NW to SE at about a 45 degree angle.  It gets out very well to Europe.  Enclosed is a photo of my WSPR ZachTek Xmitter.  I use the tuner only for 80 meters.

You may share this email on your blog post if you wish to.

My best to you and yours,  Steven N2WJ"

 


The receiver plots above show a distinct, limited path for the spots.  TF and EA8 (and the southernmost UK) spots can be discounted, as they occurred much earlier than the others on the dark side.

This anomalous spot again occurred as the field restored to quieter conditions, after a period of earlier, significant disturbance.



No comments: