Thursday 11 June 2020

eQSL: What's the point?

A long time ago, I started using eQSL.  But, over the years, the volume of incoming QSOs was so great as to make spending time confirming them completely untenable.

You might say: 'but why don't you use a logging program to record and upload QSOs to eQSL?'

It's a fair question, but I was never one of those operators who concentrate more on entering details into a personal log than actually communicating with the other person.  Perhaps in the days of FT8 and not SSB, then this is a lot less of a problem.

With FT8, the log is created as we go along, with little or no need for operator input.  This then all goes straight into LoTW, where signal reports are stripped away, leaving the only test as to the validity of the QSO being whether the other operator confirms it or not.

OK, I can probably upload the ADIF into eQSL fairly simply as well.  But uploading a log into one database is more than enough effort for me.  Thankfully, whilst I enjoy radio, it isn't a lifestyle here.  Apart from proving to myself that I can put together effective systems, I have nothing to prove to others.

And when I did upload years and years of QSOs into eQSL yesterday, whilst I got one or two complaints about 'missing RST' from the more obsessive operators, the fact is that this doesn't prevent me qualifying for eQSL 'awards'.

So I can't really see the point of eQSL, other than purely as a way of satisfying personal vanity and some random business granting meaningless 'awards' in ever-more ludicrous categories that ensures purchased certificates or plates ($85.00 each!) brings in plenty of income. I haven't claimed every certificate I could, but paying for what I have would cost me $1700 to get glass plate certificates for the all.  Ha ha ha!

The basic convention of confirming a QSO is done simply via LoTW, which is the de facto site for this purpose, even though it, too, seeks to make money from certificates.  One QSO confirmation site is enough.  The only thing left is to delete my eQSL account, I think.

And if you thought this is all negative rubbish, why not scroll through all the little 'certificates' I collected yesterday.  By the time you get to the second, you will already be thinking: 'wow, this is really boring'.  Exactly!  It is!