Sunday 9 June 2019

There's no doubt, summer's here!

After a period of very unstable weather here in wild and windy north west Wales, some clear skies returned overnight.

This allowed me to see (at 3am!) this great, early season display of noctilcuent clouds, which the media here likes to call 'space clouds':


Over in mid-Wales, the MST radar also saw a lot of action at mesospheric altitudes past few days:


Meanwhile, back on our beloved amateur radio bands, propagation is open to at least 6m, with notable, very short skip on 12 and 10m today.


For sure, it's nearly midsummer!

3 comments:

John, EI7GL said...

That's interesting. I'm living outside Cork on the south coast of Ireland and I looked at the northern sky just after midnight. I thought I could see some brightness but there were too many of the normal type clouds to be sure.

Good to see that there was actually something there.

Just to note also that I heard Japan on 28 MHz yesterday on the morning of the 8th.

Is there a link to these clouds?? Coincidence?

73's de John, EI7GL

Photon said...

Hi John,

I'm sure the JA propagation was linked to these events. I tried beaming north on 12m at 3am for the same reason, but nothing here. One phenomenon does not always follow the other. But they are all interrelated in as much as they occur in the same region, and involve conductive 'surfaces' to a greater or lesser degree.

PE4BAS, Bas said...

Will beam Japan tomorrow morning again. Propagation was reasonable today on 6m. 73, Bas