Tuesday 17 March 2015

6m Aurora. Wow!

So there I was, minding my own business on 12m, beaming Latin America.

A dead band.

The aurora, seen from north Wales in February 2014.  Image (C) this blog.


Then a GI station called me.  Even for a backscatter signal, he had a remarkable flutter on the audio that strongly suggested auroral conditions.

I had a look at the NOAA SWPC website and...WOAH!  A G4 storm was underway.  It's a long time since I saw one of those.

Curious, I turned the 12m beam northwards, but to no avail.

I rushed outside, swung the 6m 2-ele quad at the north pole, and there was Steve, GM1DSK, coming in like a drunk Dalek (that's a comment on the peculiar auroral audio, not Steven himself!)



I gave Steve, who I'd last spoken to on 12m backscatter a call, and he came back with a strong 'Roger' straight away.  Wow!  My first auroral QSO.

Here's Steve talking to someone in England:

http://freemp3hosting.com/RjM

From then on, conditions improved a fair bit, with some well-equipped stations making my efforts a little easier to hear.  Just a 2 ele quad on 80W PEP and now I have several auroral QSOs, including one back to F6.

That's a memorable day in amateur radio, for sure!


No comments: