Wednesday 2 October 2013

High Geomagnetic Activity - Does it Affect Human Health?

I woke up this morning, with usual renewed excitement about what DX might be coming in.

Although I could hear a couple of VK stations, they were quite weak, and the band was clearly wiped-out by geomagnetic activity.  A visit to NOAA's space weather site confirmed a G2 storm had been underway overnight.
Neuropathic pain such as sciatica is tremendously distressing and debilitating.  Does the Sun make it worse?

Now, I suffer from very severe sciatica.  I take GABA inhibitors to block the intense pain that otherwise renders me a crippled man of 44 years.  Until I took the GABA inhibitors, I couldn't sleep, which sent me on a road to hell.

So, for a couple of weeks, I have slept with no pain at all using these miraculous drugs, more usually prescribed for epilepsy sufferers.

But, last night, at 02:30UT, I woke up with a pain as though I hadn't taken the pills.  I checked I had taken the correct ones, and I had.  With a combination of drugs, I eventually drifted off to sleep, and the morning brought renewed positivity.

Could this be a warning that a higher dose of painkillers might be needed?  (warning: do not exceed your prescribed dose)


Now, was the fact I had pain this morning related to the G2 storm, which commenced just after midnight and so coincided with the onset of my pain?  Correlation, of course, does not prove causation; I'm well aware of that.

However, a search this morning on the internet revealed a surprising number of peer-reviewed papers on the negative effects of enhanced geomagnetic activity on human health.  Some of the statistical probabilities recorded clearly indicated more work was necessary.  Others were much more robust.

So it seems that not only can the Sun's tantrums wipe out our beloved HF bands, but can also make life a misery (or worse) for humans too.  I find that fascinating because I had never before heard anyone mention such a possible link despite a lifetime in science, and for the mechanism behind the effects.

Postscript.

For those looking for evidence that ham radio is bad for human health, the above is nothing to do with that topic; it's about entirely natural, solar-induced effects. Current conclusions on ham radio are that the low powers used do not represent a health hazard to humans.  The UK has a very low power maximum of 400W, compared to 1kW or more in other countries.  Most UK hams use 100W or less.

No comments: