Monday 11 October 2021

G3 disturbance

A large, sharp fluctuation in the geomagnetic field occurred late last evening, as a CME from October 9th arrived at Earth.  Forecasted to reach G2, preliminary results show a somewhat stronger, G3 event actually took place:


The commencement of the main disturbance, at around 21UT, led to a sudden collapse in my 1W, 10MHz signal to TF4X.  There were two, very weak spots of my signal there at around 22:30UT, when the field was rebounding to calmer conditions for a while:

TF4X receiving my 1W, 10MHz signal overnight.
 

TF4X didn't hear my signal again until a couple of closely-spaced spots at around 02:30UT, which appears to be related to the onset of the further field disturbance, which was by then felt more strongly to the west.

Vertical field component disturbances, East-to-West transect.

To confirm the result, my reception of 1W from TF3HZ, also on 10MHz, showed the same effect, and with the same timing, in the reverse direction:

My reception of TF3HZ, 1W, 10MHz.




No comments: