Monday 11 January 2021

15.4% Price hike. Really?

I've been a user of the extremely robust Yaesu FT450 for about eight years now.  The rig I have was in fact a used model, albeit almost untouched when I received it.  It's been running day in, day out, without even a hint of a problem.  I hope we can say that in many years' time about the latest colour screen units currently replacing these old rice box workhorses.

If I had to replace a rig today, I may well simply opt for another FT-450; it's that reliable.

So, how much would I have to pay for one?  This proves to be an interesting question!

Just a couple of months ago - in October 2020, Martin Lynch, a major UK ham outlet, was asking £649.95.  I think I'm right in saying that in the past year, the FT450 has been offered at about £550 (not necessarily by MLandS).

MLandS advert for FT450D, October 2020 edition of Practical Wireless.
 

Even so, £649.95 is a resonable sort of price, even for an ageing box like this.  

But, roll on the calendar a few weeks to February 2021's advert in Practical Wireless and, - hey presto! - the FT450 now costs - wait for it - £749.95!   

Voila!  £100 - or 15.4% higher price in February 2021.

Now, the UK has gone through Brexit, and according to the advert, MLandS only have a few FT450s left in stock.  

But a price hike of £100 - or 15.4% in just a few weeks?  A look at the MLandS website confirms the price, so it doesn't appear to be a misprint in PW.

A look around the other rigs offered by MLandS shows that hardly any have increased by this amount, or indeed by any amount other than, so far as I could see, a £100 price hike (to £3359.95) in the FTdx5000MP - representing a mere 3% increase.

This really does seem very odd indeed, especially as, if you simply search for the FT450D online, you still find it for sale today at £649.95 at Radioworld, for example (with which I have no link, other than as a occasional customer for larger ticket items).




No comments: