Thursday 16 January 2020

25 Years

A couple of weeks ago, an Indonesian friend of mine who studied for his Ph.D. in my laboratory 25 years ago, made a sudden appearance in Manchester airport.  Turns out he was heading into North Wales to visit some other friends of his!

Older and (in my case) a bit fatter than 26 years ago! Budi at far left.

Well, after such a long time, it was very nice to go and say 'hello'.  As we caught up on all that time, I discovered that Budi is also a radio operator - something I didn't realise at the time we worked together (it was actually a couple of years before I qualified).

I can't now remember Budi's callsign, other than it's a YC prefix; I will have to ask him again about it.  Budi isn't now active, but as a leader of the Scouts movement in Indonesia, he has used radio in the past for disaster relief, and still has all his antennas in the air.


No comments: