Wednesday 14 August 2019

New WSPR kid on the block.

It's nice to see a fairly new, 24/7 WSPR receiver operating these past few weeks at 2E0PYB.

Unlike the majority of operators who have to work in RFI-blighted, urban environments, 2E0PYB enjoys a wide open, rural setting with no significant noise.

East (2E0PYB) and West (MW1CFN) WSPR coverage.

That there is no noise is readily apparent if you keep a close eye on 2E0PYB's results on WSPR, which I encourage you to do.

I've noticed that, during daylight, 2E0PYB will report a 2-3dB stronger signal from many transmitters than I will.  This is sometimes down to the former station using a pair of phased verticals, which has fairly strong directionality, and that system is aimed NNW/SSE.  But not always.  Sometimes, that station is using just a single vertical.

My station seems to do better in the depths of night, which is lengthening considerably, now it's mid-August.  Then, my vertical delta picks up stations, like AA7FV and KD6RF (01-03UT), that 2E0PYB does not pick up at all, even when the signal here is at relatively good levels of about -22dB SNR.   That may be due to extremely low arrival angles to my station, which has a clear view of the Irish Sea horizon and a copper mine for ground.  2E0PYB may well have better reception than I do to the east, especially in the early mornings.

That low reception angles are involved in the dark hours is yet again demonstrated by a comparison of stations hearing me, and those hearing another good performer, G4UGD, who was using twice my output power:



As far as K5XL's distance, this is how both stations were receiving him 13-14 August.  My reception is stronger into the early morning, even though K5XL ceases to be heard altogether by both stations within 15 minutes of one another.  Or, in other words, simultaneously, when the difference in longitude is taken into account. Overall, my reception was 2dB above the 2E station, but it is to be seen if I can keep that up over time:

In a one-day WSPR chellange test (14-15 August 2019), I managed 235 unique spots on receive, against 2E0PYB's 225 spots.  This was despite my being at a big disadvantage in also transmitting at a 20% rate, whereas the other station was 100% receive.

The great thing about having more well-operated stations in quiet locations is that it pushes the rest of us to keep our own stations in good order.  In that respect, and many others, the arrival of 2E0PYB is very welcome indeed.


No comments: