Tuesday 12 February 2019

Signal from Brazil

Well, here we are again!  No more Aussie 'flu, no more colds, no more storms for the time being.

But!  I have a dog!  Here he is, on the way to his new home:



Luckily, he doesn't chew cables, and sleeps without complaint every night.

On the radio front, last night I ran my SDR receiver on 14MHz again, mostly because I had been told of a new pico-balloon launched by LU1ESY and his wife.

Unfortunately, as soon as I became aware of the balloon, it was pretty clear that it had already failed in some way, less than four hours after launch, as the spots had stopped altogether.

Anyway, overnight, PY3OL was heard in an anomalous fashion, which again seemed to coincide with the recovery phase of a southerly deviation in the geomagnetic field:


Image: Tromso Geophysical Laboratory, Greenland East line.
On an interesting, related vein, I notice on QRZ.com that there is now a small project launching to deploy 'RF-seismometers' in seismically-active regions, to study the link between earthquakes and proposed propagation effects.

1 comment:

PE4BAS, Bas said...

Nice dog....interesting discussion about the earthquakes and propagation. I live in a seismic active region as well. I don't know if it is good or bad for radio propagation for use here. 73, Bas