Tuesday 20 November 2018

Geomagnetic anomalies, 30m

My single turn magnetic loop has been out in the strong and very cold easterly winds over the past few days, doing very well on 14MHz.

Yesterday morning, I decided to re-tune the loop to 30m and see where the 200mW WSPR signal got to.

I am not sure what antenna other people are using at 10MHz, but my loop is doing better than any others I can find from the UK, by quite a big margin.  This is surprising, as a 10MHz antenna is not so large - just 7m per side as a dipole, or 7m tall as a vertical - as to preclude most people from having a full-sized, efficient radiator.

It's too early for a full analysis of spots yet.  But I did note that geomagnetic disturbances overnight generated interesting propagation enhancements throughout the dead of night.  Curiously, as the early morning period advanced, a periodicity between spots of an hour, or multiple of an hour, seemed to become apparent.  I will have to think about that one, but this paper is an interesting place to start, not least because the proposed modulation period occurs in agreement with my spots:



Magnetometer stackplot, 19-20/11/2018, Norwegian line.

No comments: