Saturday 15 September 2018

FT8 Call.

As a piece of software in development, FT8 Call is constantly undergoing frequent changes and updates.

I was prompted to look at FT8 Call again yesterday, having left it alone for some time due to the lack of users.  Most signals on there seem to be US-based, with few from anywhere else.

Much as I like the USA, I've long ago become tired of the bias in QSOs with that country.  These days, I've returned more to my original interest of working to the east.

The latest FT8 Call user interface is very nice and uncluttered.  There are still not many users, though.

But whilst I sent out a few test calls and beacon transmissions, a slight problem with FT8 Call struck me.

Unlike modes like ROS and OLIVIA, FT8 Call transmits with what appears to be a much higher duty cycle.  Whilst modern rigs are not exactly taxed by running hot, it is something to try and avoid where possible.  It's also regrettable that the de facto operating frequency simply juts into that conventionally used for JT9.

Some ROS operating earlier today.  Great weak signal chat mode, but very few users now.
Perhaps the best mode in terms of duty cycle is HELL, which has reasonable weak signal capability, though nowhere near as good as OLIVIA.  You can send HELL all day, and the rig will not break out a sweat.  But these modes also suffer now from very few users, which has become much worse since FT8 swept in from the west.

Certainly, FT8 Call has some potential.  I'm not persuaded yet, with its very slow transmission rate (a couple of lines takes over two minutes to send in several 15-second 'overs' that split the message into chunks) that it offers much over and above PSK, which we can run at various speeds, according to conditions.  Certainly, I strongly prefer the much more human-centric nature of OLIVIA, HELL and the rest.  You can comfortably type in some free messages and have plenty of time to correct any mistakes.

After writing most of this post, I came across a characteristically interesting video from OH8STN, using FT8 Call to send 'critical', brief update messages from his field operations.  Whilst I do tend to cringe a little bit about ham radio being described as some form of military or emergency platform, Julian has a point in that very quick messages are usefully sent using FT8 Call.

Overall, FT8 call has to show me something more than just the fact that it's new to persuade me to use it.  I'll keep an interested eye over developments, but I think other modes have offered much better solutions, and for some years by now.

3 comments:

PE4BAS, Bas said...

Hello John, I never played with ROS transmission mode as we had some issues when the program was made. Some bloggers did some negative reports about it because it is very wideband. The programmer didn't like it and banned us for using the software for a while (including me). This might not be the case anymore but I never had the need to try the program anymore. I did use Olivia in the past and almost blew up my radio since it went unbelievable hot. Although I agree it is a wonderfull chat mode. FT8Call has more functions besides chat mode. In fact I don't think chat mode is the main function but it is possible. FT8Call is made for the portable user, you can make a sitrep, send you location (APRS), and you can find who is receiving you very fast. Another possebility is relay of messages although you actually need fixed stations for that. That's were the help comes from someone that is trying FT8call from his base station. I think FT8call has great potential and I will try to be on-air much more with it. But till now I have some computer issues that have to be solved first. By the way when I did some tests with FT8call on 20m I received and tested with stations in Brazil, USA, Sweden, Norway and even Africa. Of course that could be luck? 73, Bas

Photon said...

Thanks for the information, Bas. I had almost forgotten about the controversy over ROS of many years ago now. Still, it is pretty quiet now. Yes, wideband, certainly. But then, RTTY and the like tend to splatter lots of the bands, too. I will have to look at the (essentially) beacon type function of FT8 Call, to see if it is of any practical use. I also since discovered, not that it matters much, that FT8 Call logs (there is a logging function in the software) is not accepted by LoTW, at least not for the moment.

PE4BAS, Bas said...

Hello John, FT8call is primarely not a logging program. Actually I think for logging you better use WSJT-X and fill your logbook. Think about this: I send out a beacon but am not at the radio. You see my beacon and send me a directed command for signal report, my computer sends it. You send a directed message with your signal report to me and log the contact. It is valid, but I was never there. Personally it is my opinion but Jordan should remove the logging function from FT8call. I did the above several times but never log such a contact and will not confirm FT8call contacts as well if they are not made by me personally! 73, Bas