Thursday 23 August 2018

1000 QSL cards: free?

Over the past couple of weeks, I've been operating under the SES of GB8WOW, commemorating the 41st anniversary of receiving the 'Wow!', unexplained radio signal at Big Ear observatory.

This SES has been very popular, with a lot of stations calling in.  These days, due to postage and time constraints, I don't normally bother with physical QSL cards, but prefer LoTW for its speed and simplicity.

Remembering the WOW! signal with GB8WOW.

I was then surprised to receive an e-mail from Gennady, UX5UO, who makes very fine QSL cards that I've used for my native callsign. 

Gennady was offering 1000 'free' QSL cards, subject only to paying postage when I received them. Quite an offer, as the basic single sided cards on offer typically cost £35.

Alas for poor Gennady, who is a very good and honest businessman, I am rather cautious about 'free' offers, not least because I have no real idea how much the postage cost would eventually prove to be.  So I politely declined the offer.

I'm not sure if the 'free' offer indicates that QSL card printing has dwindled to alarmingly low levels these days.  Most QSL bureaus complain of ever-increasing workloads, and ask operators to reduce their throughput.  Perhaps Gennady has spotted my operating a few SES calls this year, and hopes to attract an order for paid-for cards next time?

Anyway, if you want good quality QSL cards with excellent colour accuracy (that is not easy for my particular QSL card, and others have failed to do it properly), then do visit Gennady's site, with whom I have no association other than as a satisfied customer.

1 comment:

PE4BAS, Bas said...

I agree with you John. Order my QSL cards for years there. Gennady is also a active operator and work him at least a few times a year. Good quality QSL cards for a very good price. 73, Bas