Tuesday 27 February 2018

A positive day!

Too much grumbling recently!

Today has been a snowy old day, but quite sunny this afternoon.  So I took the opportunity to complete my small solar PV system in the new marsh-located shack, which was much warmer in a sheltered spot from the bitterly-cold, easterly winds than at my home QTH.

I had bought a 100W panel, and this will be fine when I am actually operating and want a top-up to the battery life as I transmit, or a fairly quick charge after some longer periods of transmitting.

But for keeping the battery in a good state of health when I am away for some days, I decided a 10W unit would be much preferable, not least because it is less visually intrusive, and less likely to be damaged by the odd straying sheep or cattle!  This small, fully weatherproof panel was only £17, making it cheaper than most (non-weatherproof) 'battery conditioners' with only 2.5W peak output.

So the 100W panel will simply be deployed as and when I need it, propped up against a post and frame I have installed to keep it steady and aimed to the south.  For now, I have kept costs to a minimum, and used an existing, new 70Ah flooded battery to get going at the shack.  I replaced that, for my home solar PV DC system, with two 15Ah scooter batteries in parallel - costing just £35.  Eventually, I will buy a couple of good quality deep cycle 110Ah batteries.

By 2pm, the battery was connected up, and charge was flowing nicely into it.

All I need now is a new, cheap laptop and soundcard interface for some digital work.  Until then, it will be a bit of SSB, for a change...

No comments: