Wednesday 1 November 2017

WSJT-X Update Failure

WSJT-X is a great piece of software that I've been using for FT8 for some months now.

Whilst it's good, the RC03 candidate release, which was effectively a beta-testing version, has it's bugs.  Sometimes it won't stop transmitting when the TX cycle is terminated close to the time markers, which permits the TX signal to appear on one's own waterfall.

So I decided to update to the latest, apparently full release that seems to have undergone minor bug corrections.

Under Windows 10, this update proved a dismal failure.  I was confronted with a screen that had no bands from which to select.  The QRG window worked and was reading the rig, but it stayed adamantly red, trying to say the QRG was out of range for the mode in use (which it wasn't).

All very annoying!

Thankfully, and much to its credit, Windows 10 valiantly went through a commanded restore process, and my old version of WSJT-X reappeared without further incident.

So, if you have a piece of software that is working 99% properly, my advice is to stick with it!

2 comments:

PE4BAS, Bas said...

As far as I know it is only a matter of reset the band frequencies which seemed to be disappeared in updates.

Click with your "right" mouse button on the window "frequencies -> working frequencies" in the tab "settings". Choose reset and click OK.

Good luck, 73, Bas

Photon said...

Thanks Bas! Updating anything on a computer fills me with fear. All those signals coming in whilst I am looking at a circle going round and round!