Thursday 16 June 2016

Studio Mic for Ham Radio - Saving $$$...

I've never been really interested in audio-twiddling and processing.  But, recently, the hand mic that sits on my kitchen table has become something of an irritant.

So, in true arse-about-face fashion, I started out the process of clearing the table top through buying a studio mic boom.

An entire boom mic system for just £65 - about the same price as a Heil boom.


And how much does someone like Heil and their various outlets expect you, poor ham, is going to fork out for a piece of thin metal and some springs?  Well, about £65, seems to be the answer.

Enter Dawson's Music, who provided me with a great-quality boom, plus a good length of cable, for just £15.

Now for the microphone.  If you are a mere consumer and hunt through the ham outlets, pretty much all you are going to find is a Heil mic.  Now, whilst these have, in most cases, a good reputation, something marketed as a high-fidelity broadcast mic is something you might expect to see in a commercial FM station, not an SSB ham station.

Add to this overkill the fact that they cost something like £230, and it's clearly time to look for an alternative.

On receiving some kind advice on QRZ.com, I decided to buy a Behringer XM8500.  This is a cheap-and-cheerful recording studio mic, costing...wait for it...£15!  Whilst it may be cheap, it gets a very high score from hams on E-Ham's review site.  Indeed, it gets a much higher score than many Heil mics.  That was good enough for me!

Remove the fitted Behringer mic stand coupler (shown partly out) to reveal just what we need - a thread for the boom attachment!


I got myself in a real internet search engine tizz when I tried to figure out how to wire the mic to my Yaesu FT-450.  Seems like I was making things too complex, because people like Technofix make simple adapters for this very purpose.  Turns out the Heil 3-pin units (for which the adapters are marketed) are simply the normal XLR standard connections that you find at the back-end of any studio mic.  So the Heil 3-pin adapter for the FT-450 is equally suited to any XLR, 3-pin mic.  It also features a socket for a PTT switch of your choice.  Technofix provide both hand and foot-operated varieties.

As for a shock mount - certainly not a necessity, by any means - E-bay and Amazon outlets supply these for a £45 saving over the price Heil expects you'll pay for theirs.

So, all-in, the whole change from hand to boom mic cost me about £65.  Or, alternatively, a minimum of £150 less than had I chosen even the cheapest Heil mic (not that there is much choice for an FT-450 from that maker.)  I could have saved about £20 off that if I made the adapter myself.  I decided to leave the shock mount, because hams expect to hear the odd bump and creak!

I later had a browse of some adverts in RadCom.  I was rather surprised to see a headset there sell for £207.  This is a lot of money for two small loudspeakers and a microphone attached to some springy steel! The £207 headset looks very similiar indeed to my pilot's headset - which costs just £105.  Given that reliability is considerably more important for flying than ham radio, and that pilots are hardly poor folk, it seems hams really are being taken for the biggest ride.





No comments: