Tuesday 15 March 2016

E-QSL, and other matters.

Time is relative, as Einstein famously quipped.

But, faced with 196 E-Qsl confirmations to process this morning, time is, I find, running very slowly!  It took me about 1 hour, 20 minutes to check and confirm them all, some of which dated back to January 2012.

I keep thinking that I have to forget E-QSL, but can never really bring myself to not confirm someone on the other end, who might be really keen to receive it.  But I have started updating LoTW daily now, in some sort of preparation for ditching E-QSL in due course.

One useful feature of E-QSL, though, is that you can see the details of an entry made by someone else.  This has allowed me to fill in the odd gaps in my log where I was distracted and didn't enter the time, or the callsign, or the report. 

On the other hand, there are quite a few people who try their luck on E-QSL.  I've had a number of people who've heard me, but I never had a QSO with them.  This often happens on 12m, where a very good antenna set-up means I can sometimes be the only one heard in the US, for example. 

Try as they might, I never confirm a QSO unless a two-way report has been put in the log at the time, or that it was obvious that there was a two-way QSO in place but couldn't entirely complete due to QRM on JT modes, for example.  It's important to be fussy, but not pedantic.

Another irritating aspect of digital modes is the automatic uploading of QSOs to E-QSL.  I've had a few stations issue about three QSLs for the same QSO - a new one issued for each time a response was issued during a standard JT contact.  This is really very silly, and wastes a lot of time if, like me, you're a fairly active operator.

So that's today's moan over with.  Here's something positive, if you like certificates (I collect them only as an incidental aspect of confirming QSOs).  100 countries on the WARC bands:


No comments: