Sunday 18 August 2013

Lighthouse Weekend - Wow!

A brief note of thanks to all who went to the effort of setting up stations at a very large number of lighthouses across the world this weekend.  It's been a real ball!

I think the LH weekend is one of the most positive and attractive events of the whole amateur radio year.  You get a wide range of interesting DX plus some fascinating insights into the lighthouses themselves.

For the 2014 visit to the Skerries, I hope to take a radio or two for LH weekend.
 
I was very happy to work One Fathom Bank in Malaysia against a heavy load of ugly shouting and anything approaching civil radio operating.   One elderly gentleman in Iceland bravely came back for more on Sunday after being bullied by a massive and ill-tempered lot into giving up on the Saturday.  If you don't get a firm grip on the pile-up, it does tend to bite you.  Unfortunately, few modified their behaviour to accommodate the considerable age of the op.

So, next year, I think I may take the plunge and get out to the Skerries off Anglesey.  It's probably time to start planning the permissions and boats for that now, so I'll let you know how things shape up.

No comments: