Saturday 15 December 2012

Data Interface for Amateur Radio

It's not so long ago that, curious about PSK-31, I figured-out that I could receive by sticking headphones to my PC's microphone, and send by sticking the rig's microphone to the PC's speaker.  It worked a treat to get me into the digimode, but it's hardly ideal.

So, round and round the internet I went, looking for anything that might distill into a sensible consensus on which data interface might be any good.  I think at this point I should invent the Rowlands Rule: the internet is a place for everybody to shout their opinion, and shout others' down; thus, no consensus is possible.

I had recently downloaded HRD, a fine package that carries an advert, or link to G4ZLP's web site, this being Neil, who makes digital interfaces by hand (you can, reassuringly, see where pencil marks have been made to guide the drilling of the holes for cable connections to be made!)

G4ZLP's DigiMaster Datalink interface receiving WSPR at the MW1CFN station.

I decided, after a bit of looking around, and wanting to do my bit to support homegrown enterprise, that I'd go for Neil's DigiMaster Datalink interface.  This comes in at an astonishingly good price of £69.99, well below the price of interfaces sold by the big outlets, and it doesn't need any jumpers to be bought or installed, just the appropriate PC-rig cable, another £8 or so in my case.

So, mindful that I'm not much of a computer nerd, have very little patience and no electronics knowledge to speak about, how did it go?

Well, 24 minutes after the postman gave me the box, two cables were connected up and I was sending WSPR signals out across the world.  After a few weeks of using the interface flat out on WSPR and PSK-31, and exploring other modes, I can honestly say there are no issues with Neil's box of tricks at all.  A very minor gripe, which probably applies to other interfaces as well, is that occasionally, there is a need to tweak the output level, which seems to me to drift a tiny bit, possibly with temperature, I'm not yet sure.  Maybe it's just my green-behind-the-ears-ism!

So, a big hit, and without having any link to Neil at all other than as a satisfied customer - of whom he seems to have very many - I'd recommend you get hold of one of his interfaces, which come in a variety of levels of complexity and capability.

Very nice work, Neil!

Update: 1 Year On.

Well, the old box has sent thousands of data messages across the world over the past year.  Sadly, on its first anniversary, Neil's interface decided to develop a fault.  It seemed to wake up to software using CAT control, but not always those (such as PSK/RTTY) using the data cable alone.  The TX/RX LED couldn't decide what mode it should indicate.  It appears to be an IC problem, but I have no ability in electronics. Neil also hasn't seen the problem before.

I've ordered another unit and cable, and Neil is still responding to emails very promptly.  The old unit is happy once it's had a few test signals passed through it, but it's a bit dicky on PSK (using DigiPan.)  It's surprising it gave up within a year, but put in perspective, I operate heavily every day, so compared to the weekend user, it would probably have lasted several years.  I don't think it's excessive to replace a £59.99 interface every year or so, given the fun and DX entities it provides. I still recommend the unit, certainly.

New unit arrived within two days of placing an order, back to transmitting like mad within seconds of plugging it in.  Thanks Neil!

No comments: